We all love options, right? Whether it’s choosing a meal from our favorite restaurant, what show to watch on Netflix, or what clothes to wear. The freedom of choice is a powerful thing and having options means we can weigh everything and choose something that makes us happy. And when it comes to buying a hospital table for your home because of health issues, sometimes it feels like there aren’t a lot of great options out there, but trust us, there are.
You’re probably used to the traditional medical bed table where it’s a single tray table attached to four wheels. There’s only enough room for a few items like a meal and a phone, and you find yourself trying to make more room for everything else your loved one wants close by. Now, an adjustable bedside tray table like this may be all you need at home, but if you’re bedridden or not very mobile, it’s important that an over the bed table can offer you more flexibility and convenience. So, how do you know if you need a traditional over the bed hospital table or one with more features?
We’ve put together 8 simple questions to see what option is best for your situation.
1. Take inventory of your loved one’s current space – What items do they have around them? – Most likely if they are confined to that space for long periods of time, they have a lot – their phone, remote controls, books and magazines, food and drinks, medications, maybe even an extension cord or power strip.
2. Are these items easy to reach? – More than likely some items will be, but not all of them.
3. Are the items neat and organized? If you want a few items within reach, you won’t have much room without extra storage space attached to the over bed tray table.
4. How many used tissues and other trash is lying around? Traditional medical bedside tables don’t have an attached trash bin, so chances are those tissues and other garbage pile up on that single tray table – not good.
5. What requests are made of you repeatedly? Tell us if you haven’t heard these: Can you plug in the charger? Turn on the light? Throw this away? Reach that for me? etc.
6. How long is your loved one in the space where the overbed table is needed? If they are in a bed or recliner the majority of the day, a versatile over the bed table with power will make this time a lot more comfortable due to having important items nearby and not having to ask for assistance.
7. Is it safe for them to get up on their own or do they need assistance? If they can move around, then a simple adjustable bed table with a single tray will work great but if assistance is needed, you will want a table that has important items within reach so they don’t risk a fall.
8. Do they take their meals in that space? If so, where do you put the food? If you’re constantly rearranging items on the tray table to make room for meals, it would be beneficial to have a table with extra storage for meds, phone or other items that could take up valuable space on the tray.
Which Overbed Table Is Right For You?
Now, after you have given these questions some thought, which rolling bedside table do you feel is right for your situation? You probably have realized that a single tray table can only do so much. If you just need it to hold a few items then it’s most likely the best option. But if you rely on this table because your loved one is not able to move freely, a table that can offer extra storage space, electric outlets, a trash bin, and a reading light will be a lot more convenient for both of you.
If someone you’re caring for someone who is unfortunately confined to a bed or chair, you want a table that gives them a sense of independence. Not only will they feel more comfortable knowing that they can have their meds, phone, books, food, drinks, and other important items within reach and organized, but you will love the peace of mind it provides, knowing they have everything they need.
That’s why we recommend going with the convenient, durable and versatile atHand® Overbed Table System. With plenty of storage space thanks to a drawer and shelves, plus built-in electrical and USB outlets, adjustable height table, and adjustable LED lighting.
Whether recovering after surgery, on medical-related, or pregnancy bed rest, receiving home hemodialysis, or experiencing limited mobility for any reason, this over bed table is a great way to make your life as a caregiver a little easier, and help your loved one feel more comfortable and independent.