Aging in Place
After working for decades and serving the community, you’ve finally reached that stage in your life when you’re ready to age in place. Congratulations! Your golden years are sure to be the best ones yet, especially when you have the right aging in place home modifications and independent living equipment at your disposal. With the right tools, you can have peace of mind that you’re safe, comfortable, and that each day is convenient and stress-free.
What Does It Mean to “Age in Place?”
When you are able to change your living situation by remodeling and adding appropriate aging in place equipment, you can continue to live independently at home, rather than moving to a senior care center, assisted living facility, or retirement home. These changes can be made in phases, but it is helpful to plan ahead and to make the right changes as soon as they are needed.
Independent Living Equipment and Home Modifications to Consider
You or your family members might be getting by with items you already have, perhaps using side tables or TV tray tables in place of a more functional bed tray on wheels. Or you may have installed a safety handle in the shower but foresee difficulty with climbing the stairs to reach it.
Below are essential aging in place equipment and changes for seniors living at home to consider for safety, functionality, and comfort.
- Plan for all necessities to be available on a single level of the home, or add ramps, stair assists, or other devices to reduce the risk of falls.
- Make personal care easy and safe, with easy access to a sit down bath or shower.
- Plan for volunteer, family, or professional help to deal with things like yard work, cooking, housecleaning, and running errands as needed.
- Budget for and make use of delivery services from local grocery stores, pharmacies, laundry, meals, and other regular pick-up or delivery services which make living at home easier.
- Plan for safe transportation for health care access, outdoor activities, and social events, because while having convenience at home is important, so is getting out of the house and socializing with family and friends.
- Install non-skid rugs, floor, and counter mats in the kitchen, bathroom, and living room.
- Use a planner or reminder system for money management, medication schedules, and to maintain a to do list for your helpers or care workers.
- Eliminate fire hazards like loose curtains in the kitchen, electric cords running under rugs, unsafe outlet adapters, flammable potholders, candles, or potpourri burners. Install smoke detectors in all living spaces and a fire extinguisher in each room.
- Adjust the temperature on the hot water system to prevent scalding and install monitors or alarm systems on equipment in hard-to-reach areas such as the basement to alert when there is an equipment failure.
- Keep essential communication equipment such as your phone or health monitor on your person or in easy reach, so that you or your loved one can always call for the help they need.
- Look into insurance or federally funded programs that may cover the costs of remodeling or purchasing equipment that supports aging at home.
Why the atHand® Overbed Table System Is the Best on the Market
While there are many different overbed tables and TV tables on the market, if you’re looking for the best of the best, you’ll love the atHand® Overbed Table System. Our table isn’t like the traditional eating tray that’s used in hospitals.
This table is modernized and is designed to offer all of the features and functionalities that you need on a daily basis. It serves as an eating table for elderly or mobility challenged individuals, as a tilting top tray table, a laptop table, and for reading as well as storage.
Some of the top features that the atHand® Overbed Table System offers include:
- Power outlets and USB ports
- Integrated lighting
- Storage drawer, cupholder, and shelf
Our high-quality overbed table is also mobile and is easy to move. This makes it much easier to get out of bed or off the couch so that you can more freely move around. This equipment is an essential source for independence and safety.
You never have to worry about your phone or tablet dying with the charging ports in easy reach. The integrated lighting reduces the risk of falls and provides the light you need to read a book. The storage ensures that you have enough space for all of your daily must-haves such as the TV remote, cellphone, medications, and more. With a drawer and shelf, everything you need can be within reach.
The Benefits of Aging in Place
Not only is living at home considered to improve mental health and quality of life, it is often more affordable than choosing an assisted living environment. Aging in place with the right equipment and home modifications is often a cost-effective solution, perhaps with a higher initial investment but saving money in the long run.
Investing in the best TV tray for the elderly might pay dividends over time, making it easier to stay connected to family, neighbors, and friends, while maintaining a safe and secure home which supports independence and self-sufficiency. If you or a loved one would benefit from an atHand® Overbed Table System, contact our team at (440) 628-9550. We look forward to providing the aging in place furniture you need to independently age at home!